I am employed by my parents. This morning, after getting my grandmother(who I take care of full time) breakfast,changed and whatnot, I decided to make breakfast. My dad is off today, so I ask him if he's hungry. He says no. I rummage through the fridge and find they have all the makings for BLTs. Mmmm. I ask dad one more time if he wants breakfast. He says no, again.
"Okay. But Im making myself a BLT"
"I could be hungry for BLTs..."
So, I throw bacon in a pan, cut up the veggies and what not; I walk to the pantry to grab the bread. Two different kinds, each with two pieces left(besides the ends which I always throw away. Not sure why...)Oat and Honey(ew) and Double Fiber(ew) I make my choice based on carbs. Double Fiber for me.
Before I contunue, I should say that I hate bread. Honestly. The only bread I choose to eat is sourdough or french...basically the same thing. Even when I was a kid, I didnt like sandwiches...unless it was BLTs or grilled cheese. And when having said sandwiches, it needed to be white bread. With the crusts cut off. That was basically the only thing I was finicky about, food wise.
So, I build the sandwiches. As soon as I take the toast out of the toaster, I realize two things. While in for the exact same amount of time, my dads is a delightful shade of golden brown. Mine is the color of milk chocolate. *Sigh*
Wrap em up in paper towels. I bite into mine. Crunchy. Too crunchy. its tearing up the roof of my mouth. And it kind of taste like dirt.
So, I ask you, my fellow weight warriors:
In this day in age, where we can clone animals and grow ears on rats. Where google can retrieve search results in less then a seconds and I can share my back to school pictures of Kylie with the 375 people on my facebook at once...why the hell does food still make us fat? Why do "healthy" alternatives to bread, chips, ice cream and such, taste like absolute shit. Why isnt there something I can fry my chicken in, that wont raise my cholesterol? I hate to get all conspiracy theory, but is the government trying to keep us obese? Some sort of "survival of the fittest"? I just cant believe there isnt a way to reduce the bad without compromising taste.
Why doesnt my insurance pay for a gym membership? Wouldnt you rather just shell our 200 bucks a year instead of having me come to the doctor every few weeks with another ailment. Because we all know that whatever is wrong with me is going to be attributed to the fact that I am overweight.
Dear Government,
Youre fucking up. But thats nothing new.
Xo,
Mary
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So what is even funnier about this post for me is I am responding on a Government machine.....but I so agree with you!
ReplyDeleteAs always my dear you crack me up!
LOL! So glad I stumbled across this blog because that post definitely made me laugh- and a good conspiracy theory at that! I'm sold- the government is definitely trying to keep us fat! :P I've only recently started my weight loss blog but would love it if you took the time out to have a look, and leave some comments on whatever you can relate to or if you have any advice for me! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://ramblingsofahungryfatgirl.blogspot.com
As someone who has lost 120 pounds and is working at keeping it off, this part of your post really stood out to me:
ReplyDelete"In this day in age, where we can clone animals and grow ears on rats. Where google can retrieve search results in less then a seconds and I can share my back to school pictures of Kylie with the 375 people on my facebook at once...why the hell does food still make us fat? Why do "healthy" alternatives to bread, chips, ice cream and such, taste like absolute shit. Why isnt there something I can fry my chicken in, that wont raise my cholesterol? I hate to get all conspiracy theory, but is the government trying to keep us obese? Some sort of "survival of the fittest"? I just cant believe there isnt a way to reduce the bad without compromising taste."
Based on my own experiences, the key to weight loss is not the low-fat, low-carb, low-cal food substitutes. Rather, the key to weight loss is learning to enjoy real, whole, mostly unprocessed foods in moderation. Much much much easier said than done, I know all too well. But if you try to subsist on these healthy alternatives -- and the better tasting ones that are probablly not coming -- you'll never be satisfied, and you'll never truly succeed at the lifestyle change.
Just my two cents. :)